Nigeria – Oyo State
The protesters took off from his house at Soka area of Ibadan, carrying placards of various inscriptions, calling for unconditional release of Igboho.“1”
world’s iconic news and media site
Youths in Ibadan, Oyo State capital, staged demonstrations in parts of the city on Wednesday to solidarise with embattled Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho.
Mr Igboho, a Yoruba activist, is currently being held in Cotonou by the Government of Benin Republic, after he escaped an attack on his house in Ibadan by officers of the State Security Service a few days ago.
The protesters took off from his house at Soka area of Ibadan, carrying placards of various inscriptions, calling for unconditional release of Igboho.
The protesters marched through some streets such as Felele, Sanyo and Challenge area, singing freedom songs for the activist’s release.
Correspondent, who monitored the protest, reports that personnel of the Nigeria Police and SSS were seen in their patrol vehicles a few distance away, monitoring the protesters.
Some of the protesters that spoke with newsmen, Yusuf Ajikobi; Oyedokun Abiodun; David Ajulo and Azeez Suleiman, pleaded with the Government of Republic of Benin and the Federal Government of Nigeria to release Igboho.
One of them, Mr Ajikobi, said that Sunday Adeyemo is an activist, whose slogans are fairness, equity and justice.
“Igboho does not deserve to be treated like a criminal; so, the government should let him have his freedom,” he said.
In his comments, Mr Abiodun appealed to the traditional rulers and Yoruba leaders to rise up to the plights of Igboho, saying, “he (Igboho) is fighting for the course of the masses”.
Also, Messrs Ajulo and Suleiman urged the security operatives to do more in combating the security challenges facing the nation.
According to them, the problems created as a result of insecurity prompted Igboho and the likes to rise up in defence of their respective communities.
©️ Noble Reporters Media. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from Noble Reporters Media.
- Hushpuppi accomplice: ‘Kyari is tailor’ – Reno Omokri mocks DCP Abba Kyari.Kyari is a tailor that caters to the high and mighty in the world of crime.
- Usifo Ataga’s widow goes emotional during service of songs.These are wishes of every parent. His love for his children cannot be quantified. No way!”the distraught mum said
- Hushpuppi accomplice: IGP Alkali Baba orders investigation.The police force in a statement released by its spokesperson, Frank Mba, says the police boss has now ordered an internal review of the allegations.
- Malta gov’t takes responsibility for journalist ‘murdered in cold blood’The inquiry, conducted by one serving judge and two retired judges, found that a culture of impunity was created by the highest echelons of power within the government of the time.
- BBNaija’6: Pere and Maria are ‘wildcards’Pere was happy when told there is another wildcard and he guessed it was either Maria or Nini.